Over time, we have learned many things about cleaning and grooming. This includes the place where we sleep. We have tried to learn everything about how to clean a mattress. According to everything to our research, cleaning our mattress is important.
Insects called mites look for mattresses to make their habitat. They are so small that you can’t see them, however, they do represent a danger to our health.
We have learned many ways how to clean a mattress. The best way, is to select the right method for each situation. So first check what you are trying resolve eg: stains, the mites, the humidity, etc. For each case there is a method that is more effective than another. So let’s take a look at some of the most effective.
- How to clean a mattress with baking soda
- Cleaning with Baking Soda
- How to Clean a Mattress with Lemon
- Clean a Mattress with Vinegar and Baking Soda
- The Way to Remove Blood Stains
How to clean a mattress with baking soda
Using baking soda is especially useful for pee stains. If you have small children or have pets on the bed, this method is very effective. It is also good for moisture stains and vomiting and is very simple to do.
Cleaning with Baking Soda
- Pour 1 cup of bicarbonate over the area that is stained with the pee
- Then over the bicarbonate, pour a little water
- With a small brush, make with circular movements over the affected area. Take care not to use excessive force on the brush. Doing so may damage the seams or fibres in the mattress.
- Afterwards cover the area with a plastic film, and let the mixture take effect over about 5 hours.
- When the time is up, vacuum over the area of the stain, until there is no trace of the baking soda mixture and the mattress no longer feels wet in that area.
Use this same procedure with toppers if they have also been stained by urine.
How to Clean a Mattress with Lemon
When the spots are a little more rebellious, try this method. It has often gets excellent results.
- In a pot, boil 1 litre of water.
- Pour the juice of two lemons in a separate container.
- When the water is boiling, add the juice of the two lemons and turn off the heat.
- Once this mixture cools down, pour it in a container with atomizer (spray bottle).
- Spray the liquid on the affected part of the mattress.
- Wait a few minutes and with a brush, rub the affectd area. Again use caution, to avoid damaging the mattress tissue.
- After this, wait about 4 hours, and place the mattress where it can air and dry.
How to Clean a Mattress with Vinegar and Baking Soda
When my mattresses are stained with sweat use this practical process:
- In a spray bottle, pour a sufficient amount of vinegar.
- Spray the vinegar on the stains of the mattress and wait 5 minutes.
- Follow this by shaking baking soda over the vinegar.
- This combination will effervesce. When it stops, wait for the mattress to dry.
- Vacuum the affected area until it is completely dry
This can also help eliminate bad smells in the mattress.
The Way to Remove Blood Stains
Hopefully, blood stains on the mattress, is not something that needs to be done often. However, there are occasions when it is necessary, nosebleeds, a weeping cut or injury normally. The most successfully way to remove blood stains is using hydrogen peroxide.
- Use a medium-sized wipe and wet it with oxygenated water (hydrogen peroxide)
- On the bloodstain, rub the cloth with the oxygenated water in firm circular movements, until you can no longer see the stain.
- Allow the mattress to dry. The stain is removed.
Finally, a recommendation to keep your mattresses clean and in good condition:
- Monthly, lift the mattresses from the beds and air them. Give them a deep vacuum on both sides.
- If you notice a mattress is stained, clean it with one of the methods above
- Annually, do a more thorough cleaning of all the mattresses. Vacuum them well, then spray them with vinegar all over their edges and surfaces. Place them in the sun and let them air for the whole day.