White Converse always look bright and fancy, and they make any image dazzling. But, alas, after a few walks white sneakers get a gray tint, which is difficult to get rid of. But impossible is nothing as we all know.
SPECIAL REPORT: How to Clean White Canvas Shoes Without Turning Them Yellow
Tips on How to Clean Converse at Home
According to official Converse Care Instructions, you should not machine wash or dry your sneakers. However, damp cloth and warm water are not enough to make your shoes look neat and nice. In extreme cases, you can always take your favorite Converse to dry cleaners.
Before asking yourself how to wash white Converse, fabric ones or made of other material, the pair should be looked at critically. Depending on what kind of material your sneakers are made of you should choose the appropriate method to clean your converses.
EDITOR’S CHOICE: How to Clean a Coffee Maker Fast
It’s best not to wash leather shoes and those that have delicate materials or special color designs. Even warm water can damage the fabric and ruin your shoes. In the washing machine, you cannot wash shoes with fragile elements, plastic pads, and reflectors.
If you are dealing with inexpensive canvas footwear of unknown origin, look-a-like Converse, good old-school hand-washing and light rinsing in a soap solution should be quite enough.
In case the care label on your fabric Converses states ‘hand washes only’ remember that you may still wash your shoes in a washing machine on a delicate cycle. Just proceed cautiously.
Cleaning White Converse Made of Fabric
Coping with dirt on Converse made of fabric is easiest. Such a pair should be washed using high-quality detergents. You can do this manually or wash the Converse in the washing machine. But please bear in mind the following requirements:
1. Prepare Your Converse for Washing
Wipe off heavy dirt from your Converse, remove the insoles and laces, as they are best washed by hand separately. Soak in soapy water for half an hour. After that, clean, paying attention to especially dirty areas. You can use a toothbrush to remove stains.
2. Use the Right Detergent
You can use a product marked “for white” or laundry soap. Better not to overdo the bleach, wrong bleach – water ratio might turn shoes yellow. Be smart, here.
3. Prepare Your Washing Machine
Use delicate mode for washing, but first, turn off the spinning and the drying function. Add some towels into the washer to balance the load and prevent your shoes from loudly slamming against the inside of the washer. Additional rinse is a good idea.
Before you put your favorite Converse into the machine, better place them in a laundry bag or an old pillowcase. Better machine washed in cold water, the maximum suitable temperature is 104° F.
CAUTION: Do NOT use a dryer. High drying temperature can damage the rubber parts, melt the sole glue and shrink the textiles. Although it takes more time, let your shoes air-dry after washing. And here you are – good as new!
How to Clean White Converse Made of Leather
White leather Converse is a stylish accessory. But they quickly lose their original gloss, especially if they are actively worn.
Remember, soaking and washing leather Converse is not recommended. This will lead to color distortion and leather shrinkage. So, use a gentle moderately wet cleaning.
Return the past beauty to your white leather Converses with the help of the following tips:
• Remove the laces and the insoles. They should be soaked and thoroughly washed by hand separately.
• Wipe off dust and heavy dirt with a damp cloth.
• Lather the sponge and gently work over the entire surface. To clean dirty areas, you can use an old toothbrush for small areas or usual soft bristle brush. After the manipulation, be sure to wipe the Converse dry.
• Use a shoe dye product to get rid of stains and stuff. It should be applied to the leather Converse. Follow directions on inside / on the back of the product; usually, it is greater coverage and very easy to use. Don’t forget to wear gloves.
• After cleaning, apply a shoe polish (colorless) and polish the entire surface.
Removal of Local Impurities
It is also entirely possible to do local cleaning. Clean the Converse with a soft cloth or an old toothbrush using liquid dish soap and water work best; other options might cause your white converse to get yellowed.
1. Bleaching Agents. Anything that says “OXI” on it which means they actively fight dirt and refresh the color.
2. Stain Removers. Anything – from a household stain remover to expensive professional ones.
3. Toothpaste. It should be pure white without any interspersions.
4. Baking Soda with a Drop of Lemon Juice. This active compound will help to forget about the issue of how to wipe spots from white Converse.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide. A 3-5% solution will not damage the material but will help to fight the stains. Before use, the action of any method should be tested in a small area, for example, on the inside of the tongue. Such a test will help to avoid unpleasant surprises.
How to Remove Stains on Soles
Often you can get upset by the appearance of various kinds of dirt on the sole. Dark spots and stripes can kill all the charm, and you should know how to wash the white bottoms on your Converse. You can get rid of such “tags” in several ways:
• The dark stripes can be deleted with the help of a school eraser. It’s enough to rub the stain with it gently.
• I personally use melamine sponges that can be purchased in any supermarket.
• Soap foam and a toothbrush — a tandem, which allows you to clean the sole without affecting the upper part of the shoe.
• Toothpaste on a brush literally works wonders.
• Return the color of the yellowed soles with the help of a natural bleach or nail polish remover. The liquid should be applied to the cotton pad, and it is easy to rub the areas that changed the color. Usually, one treatment is enough.
Taking care of such attractive shoes will not seem confusing if you know how to clean white Converse. The main thing is to wash them immediately, without delay, and then your favorite Converse will keep their looks for a very long time.